Friday, February 10, 2012

Snuggly Warmers


I love shopping for flannel fabric.  There are a million adorable patterns to choose from, and it's relatively cheap! So it's no surprise that I love these things. The other pros: they are a breeze to make, and so useful that you'll want to make a ton of them for your friends.  It's as cheap as 1/4 yard of flannel fabric and about 3 cups of dry white rice.  These keep me warm on a cold day, or accompany me on a winter walk. Best of all, they can be made into any shape or size. so there's no wrong way to make it!



 Select your flannel.  For a pattern, I taped two pieces of white copy paper together side by side.  I cut my fabric to those dimensions and then folded it in half  with the wrong side out. I sewed the bottom and side, leaving a gap at the top so I could turn it right-side-out and add the rice.

 
Add about 2 cups of DRY white rice.  Rice can heat up multiple times without getting old as long as it stays dry.  After adding the rice, fold in and sew up the top so the rice can't escape.


This is what I made for my nieces for Christmas, along with little hand warmers for their pockets on a snow day! Every microwave is a little different, but the hand warmers take about 30 seconds together to get warm and the larger one takes 60-90 seconds to get very warm.

Happy sewing!!

No comments:

Post a Comment