Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Flax & Oat Freezer Bread Mix

I love my bread maker. What I don't love is expensive, boring bread mixes that taste like cardboard.  I love having something I can throw into the bread maker the night before, set the timer and wake up to the smell of fresh-baked bread. What makes it even better? It's a healthier alternative to basic white bread!




What goes into each 1-quart freezer bag:

3 c. flour
1/2 c. oat flour
1/2 c. flax seed meal
1/4 c. sunflower seeds (optional)
1 T sugar
1 1/2 tsp. salt

What doesn't go into each 1-quart freezer bag:

1 3/8 c. water
1 1/2 T vegetable or olive oil
1 pkg yeast

Store the dry ingredients (minus yeast) sealed in the freezer for up to 6 months.

When you make bread make sure to add the wet ingredients FIRST, then empty the contents of the bag on top of that.  Make a little hole in your dry ingredients to pour the yeast into (yeast should never touch wet ingredients until being mixed) and select the desired settings on your bread maker. If you're mixing by hand, remember to use WARM water in your recipe and let the dough rise in a warm place for an hour after ingredients are fully mixed.

Edited to add:
I recently made this with 1/4 cup cracked wheat also added to the mix.  I decreased the flour by about the same amount to balance out the texture. It was awesome.


No comments:

Post a Comment